MAJOR ANCIENT TEXTS:
- Herodotus, The Histories
- Thucydides, History of the Peloponnesian War
- Xenophon, The Spartan Constitution
- Xenophon, Agesilaus
- Xenophon, A History of my Times
- Xenophon, The Anabasis (Project Gutenberg)
- Plutarch, Parallel Lives of the Noble Greeks and Romans,
"Agesilaus", "Lysander", "Agis", "Cleomenes"
- Polybius, The History
- Arrian, The Campaigns of Alexander
- Diodorus Siculus History
- Cartledge, Paul, "Agesilaus and the Crisis of Sparta"
- Cartledge, Paul, and Anthony Spawforth "Hellenistic and Roman
- Hanson V D (editor) "Hoplites The Classical Greek Battle Experience"
- Hamilton C "Agesilaus and the failure of Spartan Hegemony"
- Lazenby J F "The Spartan Army"
- Forrest W G "A History of Sparta 950-192 BC"
- Anderson J K "Military Theory and Practice in the Age of Xenophon"
- Adcock F E "The Greek and Macedonian Art of War"
- De Souza P "The Peloponnesian War"
- Sekunda N "Greek Hoplite 480-323 BC", "The Ancient Greeks", "The Spartans"
- Cary M "A History of the Greek World 323-146 BC"
- Laistner M L W "A History of the Greek World 479-323 BC"
- Cartledge, Paul, "Sparta and Lakonia"
- Robert J Buck "Boiotia and the Boiotian League"
- H W Parke "Greek Mercenary Soldiers"
- Joseph B Scholten "The Politics of Plunder"
- G T Griffith "The Mercenaries of the Hellenistic World"
- Duncan Head "Armies of the Macedonian and Punic Wars"
- H H Scullard "A History of the Roman World 753 to 146 BC"
- Peter Connoly "Greece and Rome at War"
- Richard A Billows "Antigonos the One-Eyed and the Creation of the
- Sekunda "Hellenistic Infantry Reform in the 160's Bc (Studies on the
History of Ancient and Medieval Art of Warfare)"
- Mogens Herman Hansen "Polis: An Introduction to the Ancient Greek
- David Ephraim "Sparta Between Empire and Revolution 404-243 BC."